Wednesday, January 5, 2011

homemade

 Growing up in LA, I acquired the assumption that the best tasting food comes from restaurants or grocery stores.  As I get older and experiment more in the kitchen, I am shocked to discover how many delicious things can be made at home and taste as good or even better than in a restaurant.  For example - guacamole (matt has really perfected the art of mashing avocados and spices - to a precise blend of goodness that rivals my favorite table-side treat).


My most recent discovery is granola bars. For years I've bought Quaker Granola Bars and never imagined that they could be improved upon. And then I received an email from Smitten Kitchen about homemade granola bars and it sparked my curiousity.

So this morning Hannah and I made granola bars. She loved stirring the dry ingredients and pressing the wet, sticky mixture into the pan.

We filled them with oatmeal, dried cranberries, chopped almonds, honey, maple syrup and a few dark chocolate morsels.


They are amazing!

With just the right blend of softness, sweetness, healthy oats and a bit of crunch - they are even better than most cookies (in my humble opinion).

(me and my sous-chef)

I'm pretty sure they will not last through another day at our house!
 (Peter and his two little teeth wish that he could try some also - but for right now he'll have to stick to munching on Rice Chex.)

No comments:

Post a Comment