Friday, July 30, 2010

"burger me"

It is becoming a tradition in the Robbins' Family to have a burger competition each summer. All of Matt's siblings, their spouses and his parents research, ponder and plan a burger to tantalize taste buds and win points.

This year was no different. We all gathered last Saturday with ingredients in hand and proceeded to create our burgers.

(It is very serious and sometimes secretive work.)


I came up with the idea of a Mediterranean inspired burger this time. I mixed sun-dried tomato, garlic, green onion and other fine ingredients into my meat and formed patties. Then I topped it with feta, thinly sliced cucumber, tomato, red onion & my homemade kalamata olive spread.


Matt graciously grilled my burger for me since I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to hamburgers on the grill.


We each made two burgers, cut them into fourths and put them out in front of their assigned number and then filled our plates.


Since there are no impartial judges, we tasted for ourselves and rated each other's burgers on a five point scale.

And guess what?
I came in 2nd place!!!

1st place went to Ryan who created a delicious teriyaki burger topped with cheddar cheese, grilled pineapple, and a sweet BBQ sauce.

Matt came in 6th place (out of 8), which was actually an improvement from last year.

If you're interested in the rules & regulations of this competition, email me and I can lay them out for you. But be warned, the rules are subject to change at any time. And the only thing you win is bragging rights.


2 comments:

  1. Seriously? I come in first place and I barely get a 4 line mention in the blog? I'm fully protesting Joy... the BIG KAHUNA BURGER CLEANED HOUSE! And yet you still try and cheat me of my glory. lol

    ReplyDelete